Tuesday 20 July 2010

All Hail Sea Kale


Some people find it surprising that I love the taste on anything cabbagey. I know a lot of people shy away from brassicas and indeed any green vegetable but I really think they are missing out on a treat.

Covering the shingely shores of Cogden beach near us, succulent sea kale is in it's prime at the moment. I take the youngest leaves and sauté them in sesame oil and light soy sauce then sprinkle with sesame seeds.

It's a satisfying starter and if you add a few prawns , some noodles and a shake of sweet chilli sauce to the wok a gratifying meal is created.

Sea kale can be used in exactly the same way as cabbage. The leaves are thicker and it has a slightly salty taste but it's a interesting vegetable and worth experimenting with.

And I think a little nod should go out to Robin Harford a fellow forager who I spied gathering sea kale in the same location. Hurrah for fellow wild food foragers. Lovely to see you.


No comments: